Nationally recognized nonprofit venture philanthropy seeks a full-time Program Operations and Grants Manager to support the fiscally sponsored EF+Math Program, an inclusive research & development (R&D) program that aims to dramatically improve math outcomes for students in grades 3-8 by building student agency in the form of executive functions. The Program Operations and Grants Manager is a senior position, responsible for the oversight and management of program operations for EF+Math. As a vital member of the executive team, they provide leadership, oversight, and management of all program operations to ensure that the program runs professionally, effectively, and efficiently. This position will initially report to the EF+Math Director.
NewSchools Venture Fund is a national nonprofit that supports and invests in promising and innovative education entrepreneurs and leaders and helps them accomplish their missions to achieve outstanding results for the schools, students and educators they serve. NewSchools is the fiscal sponsor of the EF+Math Program, an initiative to improve students’ math performance and strengthen their executive function skills, based on the latest advances in mathematics learning and research, learning sciences, and education technology. The goal of the program is to improve students’ math performance by improving their ability to focus attention and ignore distractions, juggle multiple tasks, and hold information in mind. The program funds educators, researchers and developers to co-design and then rapidly iterate on solutions together. In doing so, the program aims to unlock the potential in every student to be a powerful math learner.
You will work with the founding team of EF+Math and report to the Director. Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Program and Project Management
- Implement and oversee program-wide document/data management systems and related procedures that allow the EF+Math Program to capture, store, retrieve, share, and destroy electronic records and documents.
- Implement and oversee program-wide project management systems and processes and provide direct project management support as needed.
- Manage EF+Math Program events (both virtual and in person) and community building efforts, including identifying and overseeing external vendors.
- Lead Request for Proposal (RFP) and review processes as new EF+Math funding opportunities are opened.
- Assist Director and Deputy Director as needed to meet the needs of the program.
- Program Operations Management
- Manage implementation of program operations policies and procedures in compliance with NewSchools processes, including but not limited to: awarded grants and contracts management and approval processes, document storage and destruction, and technology management.
- Work closely with EF+Math Program team and NewSchools operations team to develop, negotiate, track, and manage consultant, partner, and other vendor contracts and communications.
- Work with NewSchools Senior Operations Coordinator to ensure that EF+Math program operations (administrative, technology) are running efficiently and ensure that equipment/service needs are met.
- Formalize EF+Math operations policies and procedures - in alignment with NewSchools operations policies - where needed.
- Regularly conduct audits of operations and document management policies and procedures and implement automations wherever possible.
- Grant Management
- Manage processes for reporting to EF+Math funders, including working with the EF+Math Program team and Newschools Venture Fund operations team to draft and submit high quality, on time grant reports.
- Work closely with the EF+Math Director and NewSchools Chief Financial Officer to track and update the EF+Math Program budget.
- Support EF+Math Program team in developing reports that summarize progress and impact of EF+Math investments, including analyzing survey data collected from EF+Math awardees.
Skills and Qualifications
Success in the position will require, but not be limited to, the following proven competencies:
- Minimum of 5+ years of experience in program operations, preferably for nonprofit or education organizations.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Demonstrated experience developing contracts and managing grant reporting processes. Event management experience is a plus.
- Experience managing external contractors and vendors.
- Commitment to EF+Math mission and strategy, including the improvement of public education and to EF+Math’s diversity, equity, and inclusion values.
- Proficiency in using Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Google Suite (Docs, Sheets, Drive, Slides) and Zoom; ability to perform Internet research and descriptive data analysis; proficiency in or willingness to learn additional platforms such as Qualtrics, Airtable, Grants Management Software (e.g. Fluxx or Submittable), Asana, and Slack.
- Extremely organized and detail-oriented; Strong analytical, critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, dynamic, and often virtual environment, owning high priority tasks quickly with minimal support.
- Ability to appropriately prioritize work, handle multiple tasks simultaneously, manage time effectively and deliver high-quality work on time.
- Work style suited to working in a small-team setting, where teamwork, innovation, and resourcefulness are highly valued.
- Ability to build and maintain positive relationships and communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people at all levels, internally and externally.
Education and Experience
- AA degree; bachelor’s degree preferred but not required.
- Nonprofit management, management consulting, operations, finance, teaching, education technology, research and entrepreneurial experience are all valued.
NewSchools Venture Fund has a strong commitment to diversity. People of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.